in

World In Union - Official Rugby World Cup 2011 Album

Last post 09-17-2013 4:42 PM by comet. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-09-2011 9:34 PM

• Libby23
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • suburb of Seattle, Washington, USA
    • Posts 3,342

World In Union - Official Rugby World Cup 2011 Album

Official RWC 2011 album launched

RugbyWorldCup.com

• World’s best selling soprano records World in Union
    • Album available to download via iTunes in September
    • Distinct New Zealand flavour, multiple languages

The official album of Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand was launched today by the world’s biggest-selling soprano and one of the country’s most recognisable stars, Hayley Westenra.

World in Union, which will be released by Universal Music on August 26* and is available on CD and at iTunes and other digital providers, will feature 22 tracks recorded by some of the world’s most recognisable operatic voices to celebrate this year’s largest sporting event.

The iconic title track World in Union has become the anthem of each Rugby World Cup with an illustrious list of artists recording the song for each Tournament.

The 2011 album features Westenra recording a rendition that will become synonymous with Rugby World Cup 2011. The 24-year-old follows in the footsteps of another of the country’s most celebrated singers, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, who topped the charts with her version for Rugby World Cup 1991.

Westenra has not only recorded the song in English and Maori, as heard on this album, but also in Italian, French and Japanese.

CLICK HERE TO HEAR WORLD IN UNION >>

VIEW THE ALBUM COVER >>

Rugby World Cup Limited Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: “The World in Union is the soundtrack to Rugby World Cup, an iconic song for the global Rugby family and I am sure that this album, featuring some of the biggest musicians, will add to the Tournament experience for fans around the world.”

“I am delighted that the album is not merely a collection of Rugby anthems, but it is a fine collection of songs performed by musicians who are Rugby fans. I am sure that Hayley Westenra’s rendition of World in Union will be extremely popular.”

The World in Union album continues with 20 more stirring tracks featuring the world’s most successful singers. Alfie Boe, Russell Watson, Laura Wright, Luigi Corvi, Bryn Terfel, Katherine Jenkins, Brian Kennedy, Paul Byrom, Mirusia Louwerse and Roberto Alagna have all recorded songs representing the participating nations.

The album also features acclaimed Dutch violinist André Rieu, The Kenyan Boys’ Choir, The Band of the Coldstream Guards, The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards and the Fron Male Voice Choir.

With over 95,000 fans expected to flock from overseas, Rugby World Cup is the sporting event to be at in 2011, but wherever you are in the world this album will provide the perfect soundtrack.

* Australia launch (August 26), New Zealand launch (August 29), UK/International launch (September 12).

• 08-10-2011 9:57 PM In reply to

• comet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-16-2008
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 690

Re: World In Union - Official Rugby World Cup 2011 Album

Looks like this album will be well worth getting for it's Hayley content alone.

Although there are some other great singers and songs on it too

Music was my first love and it will be my last
    Music of the future and music of the past

To live without my music would be impossible to do.
    In this world of troubles my music pulls me through.

Music by John Miles
  • 08-11-2011 12:32 AM In reply to

• Libby23
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 3,342

The Maori version of World in Union is now available for listening, as well as the English one, at Umusic.

Edit: They seem to have taken the songs down. Sad

• 08-11-2011 6:49 PM In reply to

• comet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-16-2008
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 690

Libby23:

The Maori version of World in Union is now available for listening, as well as the English one, at Umusic.

Thanks for the link Libby, I was wondering where you guys were hearing the samples.

I have been hearing that song absentmindedly for years, but this is the first time I have listened to it.

As always, Hayley takes something and just makes it better

Music by John Miles
  • 08-12-2011 2:05 AM In reply to

You are able to pre-order the cd now....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Union-Rugby-2011-Official/dp/tracks/B005C8VQSK/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

Not only does Hayley sings "World in Union" twice but "Pokarekare Ana" & "God Defend New Zealand" as well.

Mine is on order!  Yes

Howard

• 08-25-2011 2:41 AM In reply to

• Libby23
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 3,342

HAYLEY WESTENRA RELEASES RUGBY ALBUM
    The rugby world unites in sport and music with one notable soprano leading the way... 

M2Woman.co.nz

The world’s biggest-selling soprano, Hayley Westenra, launches The Rugby World Cup 2011 Official Album, entitled World In Union on 29th August.

The new Rugby World Cup 2011 album opens and closes with the title track ‘World In Union’ (based on Jupiter from Holst’s Planets Suite) – which has, over the years, been adopted as the global anthem for all Rugby World Cups. This rousing theme has become the only enduring official song for a major international sports event that is recorded anew for each Tournament, this year’s choice being the hosting nation’s own Hayley Westenra. This coincides with Hayley celebrating 10 years in the music industry.

The 24-year-old singer follows in the footsteps of another of the country’s most celebrated singers, fellow New Zealander Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, who topped the charts with her version for Rugby World Cup 1991.

Hayley has not only recorded the song in English and Maori, as heard on this album, but also in Italian, French and Japanese – each version is expected to be heard played in the relevant countries.

The album continues with 20 more stirring tracks from around the globe, featuring some of the world’s most successful singers, that will both unite and inspire.

Representing ENGLAND is “the Nation’s Favourite Tenor” Alfie Boe with The Band of the Coldstream Guards performing the rousing Jerusalem, and rising star Laura Wright with her tender, acoustic version of Swing Low, a great rugby anthem that is also contrastingly performed by Russell Watson. For SCOTLAND the song Now’s The Time, based on the tune of Loch Lomond, is here sung by Scottish Tenor Luigi Corvi. The traditional Flower of Scotland is also featured, performed by The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. From WALES we have none other than The Fron Male Voice Choir with Land Of My Fathers, as well as music from Bryn Terfel and Katherine Jenkins. And IRELAND brings its official song Ireland’s Call featuring Brian Kennedy representing the North and Paul Byrom the South, and introduces new Irish songstress, Mairead, with her rendition of The Fields Of Athenry.

Also included is a recording from International superstar violinist André Rieu from HOLLAND, with singer Mirusia Louwerse from AUSTRALIA. From AFRICA comes The Kenyan Boys’ Choir, and Roberto Alagna represents FRANCE with his version of the French National Anthem.

Rugby World Cup 2011 will be the largest sporting event ever to be held in New Zealand, with over 85,000 visitors expected to flock from overseas – but wherever you are in the world, this album will provide the perfect soundtrack.

Have a sneak listen here

• 08-29-2011 3:37 AM In reply to

• Libby23
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 3,342

The World in Union tracks, English and Maori, will be available for download in the UK on Sept. 2, according to Amazon.co.uk

And here's a larger version of the album cover:

• 09-06-2011 5:03 AM In reply to

• Libby23
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 3,342

The World in Union album is now available for download at Amazon.co.uk and Play.com

For UK residents only, of course. Sad

• 09-14-2011 3:12 AM In reply to

• Libby23
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 3,342

The French version of World in Union is now available! Have a listen, it's very nice! Smile

http://fr.7digital.com/artists/hayley-westenra/world-in-union-4/

• 09-14-2011 9:55 AM In reply to

• comet
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-16-2008
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 690

Thanks Libby,

Hayley has three teams to support , 

New Zealand 1st,  and a toss up between France and Ireland as second preference,

but with an obligation to support England as it is where she lives.

Music by John Miles
  • 09-15-2011 7:15 AM In reply to

• Libby23
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 3,342

comet:

Thanks Libby,

Hayley has three teams to support , 

New Zealand 1st,  and a toss up between France and Ireland as second preference,

but with an obligation to support England as it is where she lives.

True, but since she's pretty well-aquainted with a French person... she might prefer them a little bit. Wouldn't that be ironic, if she ends up having to sing the French national anthem, after the French banned her from singing the NZ anthem at the last RWC!! They don't deserve it, so let's hope it's the All Blacks in the Final, and not the French. Or, even better, All Blacks beat the French in the final! Wink

• 09-15-2011 7:17 AM In reply to

• Libby23
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 3,342

Check out the video clip of Hayley recording World in Union, posted on Hayley's Official site today!

http://www.hayleywestenra.com/2011/09/14/world-in-union-out-now/

• 09-16-2011 3:40 AM In reply to

• Libby23
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 3,342

Hayley is at #23 in the New Zealand Singles charts with World in Union!

rianz.org.nz

• 09-21-2011 9:24 PM In reply to

• Libby23
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 3,342

The album is available from CD Japan, with the Japanese version of World In Union as a bonus track! Smile

• 09-25-2011 6:12 AM In reply to

• Libby23
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 3,342

The World In Union album (the full album, with various artists, as well as Hayley) is #1 on Classic FM's chart, with Paradiso down to #2. I guess it's to be expected while the world cup is going on. Maybe once it's over, Paradiso will go back up.

Classic FM chart

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >